Teddy on a Mission

Just so you know, I am a traveling bear. This is a place where I can share text & pictures of the fun (and hopefully worthwhile) things I do with my unparents, Ken and Marijke.

Name:
Location: Greer, South Carolina, United States

I started this blog for the bear-loving friends in my church mostly since they were kind enough to send me on a mission trip to France. That was in 2006. Hopefully I'll get to go on other trips, too (like this most recent extended trip in 2009). But my main mission is to bear each blessed day with gratitude.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cousin Marinke is FIFTY!!


I didn't get my picture taken with this wonderful cousin of Marijke's (and her family) but I won't soon forget the lovely meal we were served. The fish was cooked to perfection and never have I had such a delightful dessert (give me something cold and coffee-flavored any day of the week!) Unfortunately daughters Laura and Lily couldn't be at this last minute gathering but Marius and son Ludo were both such good company. If we lived in Holland, we'd be sure to get together as often as possible.

By the way, even the dog, Figo is a charmer; you should see the way he gently fetches his leash when he wants the guests to go home!

Obviously the above shots weren't taken at Marinke's birthday party; we visited a few days before. She actually wanted only the five of them for the celebration on Monday night (that's probably so there'd be enough cake for everyone - hee hee). I bet they had a sweet time but I wish I could have seen her face when she got her present from Laura! I got to see it when I was in Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago. This young lady was spending the night there in order to have room to work on her elaborate project. It took hours, I know - even with help from her Oma Anke. Imagine making copies of more than 175 family photos from the last 50 years and then printing, cutting and pasting them!


I always say that the gift of time is the best - whether someone makes picture collages or does a drawing, composes a song, or stitches something. Those are the kinds of gifts that are treasured for life!

We have had so many precious gifts on this holiday; friends and family have given their time in conversations - in person or on the phone - and in preparation of meals and beds, etc. Paying everyone back is not possible but hopefully we will continue to do the same for others when it's our turn. I just hope everyone calls ahead 'cause there's a chance that several families decide to take us up on our offer AT ONCE! That's OK, though - we would welcome them bearfully! T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home