Teddy on a Mission

Just so you know, I am a traveling bear. This is a place where I can share text & pictures of the fun (and hopefully worthwhile) things I do with my unparents, Ken and Marijke.

Name:
Location: Greer, South Carolina, United States

I started this blog for the bear-loving friends in my church mostly since they were kind enough to send me on a mission trip to France. That was in 2006. Hopefully I'll get to go on other trips, too (like this most recent extended trip in 2009). But my main mission is to bear each blessed day with gratitude.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Unexpected Bus Trip

Just when I was beginning to think life was getting a little predictable, K&M booked tickets for a bus trip. They had gone back to Leipzig to stay in our friends' house for a while and decided it might be fun to relax by letting someone else do the driving for a few days. Never having been on a holiday like this (they're far too young, of course) and never having been to Austria (Vienna), it seemed like a great experiment. The trip was going to include places in the Czech and Slovakia Republics, too. Why not?

We were provided with a little snack bag for the first leg of the voyage (bus departed at 8:00 AM, I believe).

Here's the back entrance to the bus showing the bathroom on the right.

Here's me waiting my turn.

There were two bus drivers so that when one was behind the wheel, the other could fix coffee and serve it (opposite the aforementioned bathroom). There were even German 'hot dogs' on board which were heated and served at a rest stop halfway!


Turns out there were a LOT of pluses - including the magnificent price and the great hotel with breakfast and suppers - but it was also crazy at times. All tours were in German, of course, and we only had one fellow passenger who could speak English. Imagine trying to figure out where we were going each day and what time to be back to the bus, etc. We certainly were thankful for Rolf and his wife, Christa!
These two certainly didn't look or act their age at ALL, I might add. He's going to be 87 on Sept. 1st and she's all of 78 years old. Amazing examples for ol' K&M!

Oh, we did 'chat' with a couple of other folk by the end of the week (or should I say we did a lot of sign language?) but Traude invited us to her flat a few days after our return - for coffee and cake. It's always so nice to see where someone lives, isn't it?

We'd do a bus vacation again, I think - only we'd probably rather travel with more English-speaking humans and/or bears. - Teddy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home